GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC) a joint venture between GMR Infrastructure Ltd and Megawide Construction Corporation has opened the new Terminal T2 at Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) in Philippines on Sunday.
“With the opening of new terminal, the entire international operations has moved from existing Terminal 1 to brand new Terminal 2 and total capacity of MCIA has expanded from 4.5 mppa to 12.5 mppa,” said a company statement adding that the new terminal, spanning 65,500 sq.m will not only lessen congestion in MCIA, but also offer an wide-ranging retail environment.
GMR Infrastructure holds 40 per cent stake in GMCAC, while remaining 60 per cent is held by Megawide Construction Corporation.
The $600-million project is part of the first ‘airport resort’ in the world that GMR-Megawide has been managing since 2015 after winning the concession agreement, said a report.
The launch of Terminal 2 and the future expansion of MCIA will allow GMCAC to launch more direct international services to Cebu and expand the number of domestic connections such that Cebu becomes a major gateway to the Philippines, the statement added.
GMCAC took over the operations MCIA from November 1, 2014 and is responsible for construction, development, renovation, expansion and operation of the airport for a period of 25 years.
“With a unique design that captures the warmth and friendliness of the local culture, Terminal 2 is set to transform MCIA into a world-class facility and resort-gateway,” the statement added.