Emirates Group said it will be forced to cut jobs as the operator of the world’s largest long-haul carrier seeks to reduce costs after the coronavirus pandemic grounded air travel.
In a company statement issued on Sunday, it stated, “during these difficult times, and although we have slowly started our return to the skies by keeping in line with the safety measures. The current pandemic has impacted many industries around the world and although we have endeavored to sustain the current family as is, we reviewed all possible scenarios in order to sustain our business operations, but have come to the conclusion that we unfortunately have to say goodbye to a few of the wonderful people that worked with us.”
Emirates didn’t say how many jobs will be lost.
According to a Bloomberg report, the Dubai-based group could slash the number of employees by about 30 per cent from more than 105,000 at the end of March, people familiar with the matter said last month. Emirates is also considering accelerating the retirement of its fleet of Airbus SEA380s — of which it is the biggest operator, some of the people said, declining to be identified because the information hasn’t been made public.
“We continuously are reassessing the situation and will have to adapt to this transitional period. We do not view this lightly, and the company is doing everything possible to protect jobs wherever we can. Where we are forced to take tough decisions we will treat people with fairness and respect. We will work with impacted employees to ensure they are looked after and taken care of with necessary means,” the statement read further.
1,294 total views, 28 views today
With more than 25 years of experience in defence publishing, Global Business Press and its industry leading titles Asian Defence Technology, Asian Airlines & Aerospace and Daily News are the leading defence publications in the region, present at more international shows and exhibitions than any other competing publication in the region.