Maintenance Repair & Overhaul Space Air Cargo

Home- Stories

Rheinmetall, Ukraine Boost Strategic Cooperation

Our Bureau - : Jun 12, 2024 - : 10:11 pm

Rheinmetall AG, the Düsseldorf-based technology group, and Ukraine have taken a significant step towards strengthening their strategic alliance. The Minister of Strategic Industries, Oleksandr Kamyshin, represented Ukraine at the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding during the “Ukraine Recovery Conference” in Berlin. The agreement seeks to explore and cultivate additional avenues for collaboration between the Ukrainian defence industry and Rheinmetall.

“With this agreement we confirm our intention to continue our cooperation in the coming years and create a corresponding framework. Specifically, we are already in talks to establish a joint venture for the production of artillery ammunition in Ukraine,” said Armin Papperger, CEO of Rheinmetall AG.

“We also want to hand over the first Lynx infantry fighting vehicles to the country this year and start manufacturing these systems in Ukraine in the near future,” he added.

“The Ukrainian defence industry has been in decline for decades. But today it is reviving and making a significant contribution to Ukraine’s economic recovery – also thanks to partners like Rheinmetall. We are very grateful for your support and your confidence in the Ukrainian defence industry and our gunsmiths. And, of course, we will share the lessons we have learned with our partners,” said Oleksandr Kamyshin, Ukrainian Minister of Strategic Industries.

“One day Ukraine will join the EU and NATO – and both organisations will have a strong partner with a strong defence industry that does not compete but complements. Let’s build the Arsenal of the free world together.”

The partnership aims to enhance Ukraine’s sustainable defence capability through the reindustrialisation of national manufacturing expertise, in addition to potential direct deliveries from Rheinmetall. A forthcoming framework agreement for the delivery of several hundred Lynx combat vehicles to Ukraine is also expected to encompass training, maintenance, and repair services.

Earlier in February 2024, the partners had already announced their plan to produce a six-figure quantity of 155mm rounds, along with the corresponding propelling charges, annually at a “Ukrainian centre of excellence for ammunition”. Rheinmetall is set to own 51% of the shares in the joint venture, with the Ukrainian partner holding the remaining 49%.


Headquartered in Singapore with reporters spread across all major regions, GBP Aerospace & Defence is a leading media house that publishes three publications that serve the aerospace and defence sector - Asian Defence Technology, Asian Airlines & Aerospace and Daily News. Known industry-wide for quality journalism, GBP Aerospace & Defence is present at more international tradeshows and exhibitions than any other competing publication in the region.
For over three decades, our award-winning team of reporters has been producing top-notch content to help readers stay abreast of the latest developements in the field of commercial aviation, MRO, defence, and Space.

Popular Posts

Copyright 2024. GBP. All Rights Reserved.

Home Defence & Security Space Commercial Aviation Maintence Repair & Overhaul Daily News Events About Us