The launch of the Singapore-Hong Kong air travel bubble, planned for May 26, has been deferred for the second time because of the increase in COVID.-19 cases in Singapore.
The country is “unable to meet the criteria to start” the air travel bubble, said Singapore’s Ministry of Transport (MOT) on Monday (May 17). It may be recalled that the air travel bubble, which was due to launch on Nov. 22 last year, was initially deferred after a rise in COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong.
The authorities will review a new launch date towards the end of Phase 2 (Heightened Alert), which runs to Jun 13.
Under the terms of the agreement, the travel bubble will be suspended for at least 14 days if the seven-day moving average of unlinked local COVID-19 cases a day, excluding dormitory resident cases in Singapore, is more than five in either Singapore or Hong Kong.
Singapore’s MOT said both cities remain “strongly committed” to launching the travel bubble safely. A Hong Kong government spokesperson said they will continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation in both cities.
Travellers can still continue their journey on non-designated air travel bubble flights, but they will be subject to the prevailing border control and health requirements of both places. Singapore residents returning from Hong Kong will be subject to a seven-day stay-home notice upon entry into Singapore.
With more than 25 years of experience in defence publishing, Global Business Press and its industry leading titles Asian Defence Technology, Asian Airlines & Aerospace and Daily News are the leading defence publications in the region, present at more international shows and exhibitions than any other competing publication in the region.